Translate

Sunday, September 23, 2012

EQUAL pay for EQUAL work.


Economic inequality is an issue that has been affecting women for over decades.  This issue would definitely go under the category of a feminist problem. This takes us back to the old ages where women did not work, and if they did they were paid significantly less than a male.  So why is this still going on today?  How does being female or male make your work ethnics different?  This also goes along with how women are not hired as high positions, like CEOs, etc.  FEMINISM.  These are things that people just look at and say that’s how they are, and they cannot be changed.  Why is this?  Women work the same hours, and put in the same amount of labor. Their pay should be equal.  What does sex have to do with paychecks? It is crazy to think that in 2012 women can still be considered unequal to men. 

Along with money seeing to be a problem in feminism, I feel like it is a problem between households.  The rich and the poor.  There are always going to be people who are above one another, but sometimes the wrong measures are taken to get where you want to be. I feel like along with inequality in pay, that people go through wrong journeys to become fortunate.  I am not sexist in any way, I do believe that some women have become so fed up with being underpaid that they too, do the wrong things to get money.



While exploring these two (1) (2) websites given in the syllabus I see that there are many people who are experiencing this unfortunate unfairness. CWCS even calls this “wage theft,” which I thought was a really clever name for what is happening right under our noses. I do feel lucky to be protected by the union I am in so this could not happen to me (I hope).  These young and elderly ladies tell their stories of unfairness in the work place, due to the other sex.  One story that I felt the most for was about a women named Ginny, who lives with four of her teenagers.  Ginny refused to be on welfare or receive help from the government, for her pride.  Ginny receives $158 every two weeks and lives in a beak down trailor.  But she is content with her life and her choices.  I feel for her, she has so much pride and does not want to depend on anyone else, including the government, even though she really does need it.  





Questions for class:
How could this still be going on in the twentieth century?  Women are still seen as these unequals?  How would you react, as a women, in this type of predicament?
Comments for class:
Dumbfounded at the fact that a women are still seen as incompetent compared to men. 

1 comment:

  1. Ginny's story was the first I read, only because her name reminded me of Ginny Weasley. #HarryPotterNerd

    ReplyDelete