Translate

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

random post #2! --work uniforms


at stop and shop, the uniform requires jeans (which i never wear), an ugly mustard colored long sleeve, or short sleeve with the companies logo printed on the collar, and on the back, and a black apron.  however, sometimes the males in the company are required to wear hats, or just choose to wear a hat.  
SO, one night at work, i had nothing really left to do in the florist department so i was kind of walking around talking to people, when i saw a co-worker named Tyler, wearing a hat.  I kind of like the hats.. their cute just black with a little logo.  and stop and shop makes my hair so staticy i always wear it up anyways.  so i asked my manager for a hat.  he laughed and said "only the boys wear those," i told him i wanted to be one of the boys that night.  kind of hesitantly he went and fetched me a hat.  when Tyler had saw me again he told me that i was "trying to copy him," and that "those hats were only for the real men of the store." 
while walking around with this hat on i saw a couple of double looks come my way.  with this class in mind, i decided to wear the hat the next day at work, too.
this time a different manager was on and he too, made some sort of comment about me looking like a boy.  and my friend stephanie was working and decided she wanted to wear a hat too, just to be cool like me.  

the moral of the story is.. if i wear a hat.. im a guy? really.. girls cant wear hats in public places without getting double takes?

and this is a picture of me and stephanie being "boys."


1 comment:

  1. This is great- remind me of this post in a few classes when we talk about daily acts of feminism.

    ReplyDelete