Translate

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

ideology and media - croteau -- connections


CONNECTIONS:
reading this article made me think more on the textbook side.. along with it being a repeat of a lot of things already read and talked about in class.  other than this article being kind of a repeat, i thought it was kind of a hard read, since it differed so greatly from the articles we have been reading lately. 

for my first connection to the text I chose Cinderella Ate my Daughter.
both of these articles had lots to do with the media, and depiction of certain things.  and as for the ideology, both articles talked about the "norm" or life.  the things that are always seen, and recognized so quickly because of the media in the world.  although, Cinderella Ate My Daughter pertains to mostly young girls, ideology and media focuses on both of the sexes.  this is something that we talked about in class.  in the text, Cinderella Ate My Daughter, the author spoke of the problems her daughter may come about as she grows, and in Ideology and Media, the problems of both female and male were brushed upon. 


for my second connection, i chose the movie we watched in class: (sorry i forgot the name)
just like Cinderella Ate My Daughter, this movie was also about young females.  as i was watched the movie,  i thought of BOTH Cinderella Ate My Daughter, and Ideology and MEdia.  these three presentations of information are so close knit.  once again, the only difference is that Ideology and Media talked about the male race.. while the others didn't. what i liked in the movie was the interview of high school girls, talking about being bullied and peer pressured.  actually hearing truthful stories is different then reading them in the text.  in ideology and media, stories about the future and being bullied were only talked about. 


overall, all three of these types of "texts" have opened my eyes to the cruel world we live in.  if everyone was nice and could mind their own business the world could be a happier place.  growing up is extremely hard.. and i honestly could not even tell you which gender growing up is HARDER for.  i hope the best for my kids, (when i have them) and i pray that their wont be bullies.  while watching the movie, i could totally understand how these little girls felt.  i believe that everyone has been bullied in their past, its just sometimes kept deeper into the memory in some people than others.
as for media, media can be the biggest bully of all. 

2 comments:

  1. The movie from class was Miss Representation. I made some connections to it, too! Actually, after watching it and then reading the article I was focusing on inequality in the media solely based on gender because of it. I agree with you that media is the biggest bully of all. It generates this voice inside people's heads (young girls' especially) telling them they aren't good enough, smart enough, pretty enough, skinny enough, etc. I think a lot of the time the media causes kids to internally bully themselves and then low self-esteem leads to bullying others. It's a vicious cycle. By the way, nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the textbook-likeness in the article, I wasn't as much of a fan of it compared to other pieces we've read. I like all the connections you made, nice post!

    ReplyDelete